Introducing Function Practice Activity
This activity is designed to support students in developing an understanding of repeated patterns and the coding language associated with them. The slides in this section are to be used during the MODEL segment of the lesson plan. This allows each student the opportunity to explore this concept and allows the teacher a lens into the level of understanding and the amount of support that individual students will need as they practice and apply the concept.
- Print, cut, laminate and use velcro for individual use.
- Have students create a pattern sequence in step 1.
- Identify any repeating patterns in their pattern sequence. Place the image blocks of the repeated pattern in step 2.
- Introduce the concept of the Function command block and how it replaces any multiple block repeated pattern with a single block.
- Re-create the pattern sequence in step 3, using the Function block.